Thursday, August 25, 2016

Bible Quote Aug 25th Psalm 116:1-2

“I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live.” Psalm 116:1-2 
===
This is a Hallel Psalm, a jewish prayer of thanksgiving. In Hebrew, it is an acrostic poem. The psalm draws heavily from other psalms so much so that Hupfeld called it a `patched-up psalm'
Via Wikipedia
"Theodoret applies this psalm to the distresses of the Jews in the times of the Maccabees under Antiochus Epiphanes while a small minority ascribe it to Hezekiahs, sickness recorded in Isaiah 38
However, most commentators today ascribe it to King David. If David were the author, it is not certain whether it was composed upon any particular occasion, or upon a general review of the many gracious deliverances God had wrought for him, out of six troubles and seven The Syriac Church hold it was written on the occasion of Saul coming to the cave where David was hiding"

No comments: