Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Bible Quote March 15th 2 Peter 1:5-8

“For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.” - 2 Peter 1:5-8
===
Some say Peter could not have written his letter because they don’t believe in adult learning. After Peter’s education as a disciple of Jesus, Peter was privileged and had ample opportunity to learn advanced rhetoric. But the wording here is simple and pure. God is holy. God is exalted and above the sin of which people are immersed. In order to deal with sin, it is important not to deal in sin, but to look for God. The simplicity of the words is what informs those who claim Peter could not have written it. 

Another argument against the second epistle is that words are used, like 'Scripture' which weren't generally used until long after Peter's death. Also, Peter seems to have accurately predicted his own death. 

Peter was named by Christ as the rock of the Church This letter may not have been written by him, but was written in his name, possibly any time from 60AD to 160 AD. Peter would have been dead, but still remembered in Rome where this letter probably originated. Christians were being persecuted on the pretext of amoral behaviour.

The structure of the first chapter is 'the greeting of the faithful,' 'fruitful growth in faith,' 'Peter's approaching death,' 'a trustworthy prophetic word.' The letter had been addressed to various nations in Asia Minor. This particular verse is from fruitful growth in faith. By embracing Jesus, we may commune with God. 

As a young Christian I was intimidated by my fear, and unproductive. I believed, but I was paralysed by fear of what I’d been like before I had believed. I worried about what others thought of me and felt incapable of presenting my thoughts to others without first understanding what others thought. But frequently they obfuscated and rarely showed they ever thought at all. 

I needed to add goodness to my faith. I needed to show myself I was ready to share with others, my thoughts were legitimate. They might not be the thoughts others have, but they are worthy thoughts to share. I needed to acquire knowledge by reading the Word. I needed self control and all that Peter advises in his letter. One gets love by exercising it. One learns by walking with God. One is freed by accepting salvation.

Read David Daniel Ball's answer to What is the background to, and meaning of 2 Peter 1:5-8? on Quora

https://rumble.com/veqiy3-bible-quote-march-15th-2-peter-15-8.html

No comments: